Sunday, October 12, 2008

Life is but a vapor that appears for a little while...

This past week was pretty wild for my family. Monday about 2:00 AM I woke with an incredible stomach ache. It seems like nothing would get rid of it except to vomit. That happened about every ten minutes until about 7:30. Finally I woke Kristen & had her take me to the ER. They never really found the problem. I was pretty much out of it all day Monday though.

Thursday evening after a concert at our church my son Caleb was in a car accident that should have cost him his life. I don’t understand other than God’s grace and protective hand that he walked away with only 50 stitches in his head, broken nose, and other minor cuts and bruises. Was a long night and an interesting few days that followed. Something like this causes you to rethink your life and the way we spend it.



It has caused me to think that if he was to have died what would my last day, week, month or year looked like with him. How much time did I spend with him? How much time did I spend edifying my own son? Sometimes it is easy to pour into others and we neglect our family. It might be easy to point out and find strengths in others and we take the time to write them a note or look for creative ways to build them up and strengthen them. We wait on the LORD and listen to His voice and do our best to move in obedience and not in fear. This is what Edify Daily is all about. I will continue to move in the LORD’s leading but I have had to rethink how I pour into my own family. I encourage you to do the same.

A verse that kept speaking to me the day after the accident was that our life is but a vapor that appears for a little while then vanishes away. We don’t know when our life will end on this earth or the life of someone we love. I encourage you this week to think on your family; pray for them. Consider any broken relationships or areas of bitterness that may have set in. Maybe someone you need to forgive or receive forgiveness. I exhort you to pray for your family this week and ask God if that note or something more should go to them.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had no idea...thank you for sharing as it is very sobering to think how we spend our converstations with those we love. Thank God Caleb is ok! I will be praying for you all.
    -Tara

    ReplyDelete